UC Through Me

UC Through the eyes of Jeanette, a senior at Union Catholic.

Tuesday, December 01, 2009

College Life!!

Hey everyone!! Remember me?! It's Jeanette, UC '09 graduate, and now a freshman at Rider University. I came back to tell you all about my transition from high school and college and what my life is like now. Feel free to post comments and leave questions for me if you want to!

Making the transition from high school to college was full of different emotions for me. In the summer and throughout the first month here, I was so excited to be heading off to college and gaining independence by living on my own. It didn't hit me until the second month just how much independence, responsibility, and prioritization I needed! I've had alot of fun already and have made some great friends, but at the same time it's been a little difficult trying to get work done when you'd rather hang out with friends who are in the dorm next to you and don't have mom or dad to tell you "no!"

Fortunately, I think that phase was just in the beginning of the semester, since everyone wanted to meet new people and develop their own comfort zone with groups of friends. Now that I'm well into the semester, actually - almost done with it, I've learned that your work always, ALWAYS needs to come first. I really like my classes here at Rider. I take 5 academic classes a week, and 2 dance classes (because I'm minoring in dance). There's also something called Freshman Seminar, which I have once a week. This class is a 10-week program that has really helped freshman adjust to the college atmosphere. There are activities for us to complete and we are given the opportunity to ask any type of questions that we want to.

If you remember me from my old blogs, you'll know that I was very involved in high school. Well, even though I'm not in ten different clubs here, I am a part of two main organizations already. I'm on the Rider Dance Team (which I had to audition for) and I'm working with the News at Rider, a news program on the Rider University Network. These activities are perfect for me because they're both something that I love to do and that I'm very interested in.

So, to sum it up, I think I'm doing really well in college. Yeah, I've had some breakdowns and have gotten stressed at times, but I feel like I was really well prepared. UC taught me alot, and I owe so much to all my teachers, counselors, and administrators there. They instilled morals, proper behavior, study skills, knowledge, and life lessons for me to follow.

I can't wait to return to UC for the Alumni Christmas Mass! It will be great to be back in the "blue crew". Even though I'm a "Rough Rider" now, wearing cranberry and red, I'll never be afraid to show my Viking pride!

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I check everyone's blog on a regular basis and was so pleased to read your latest post. I always enjoyed reading your blogs and it's nice to see that you are adjusting well to college life. It really does sound like Union Catholic prepared you well. I wish you continued success at Rider University. Keep the blogs coming!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home