UC Through Me

UC Through the eyes of Jeanette, a senior at Union Catholic.

Monday, June 07, 2010

First Year of College - DONE!

Hey everyone!

First of all, I would just like to congratulate the Class of 2010 on their Graduation from UC!!!!!! I know for sure that this class will be off to great new opportunities and endeavors. I've been familiar with many of them since they were freshman, watching them succeed on the stage, on the field, and in their academics. They are sure to go a long way, and I wish them the best of luck!

As for me, I can hardly believe that I've finished my first year of college and how quickly this past year has flown by.

For all of you graduates, take my advice and enjoy this summer getting ready for your college experience. And, just like starting your freshman year at UC, make sure you get involved right away. This is the best way to find your niche and definitely make lots of friends.

While there are so many opportunities to get involved in college, I chose some activities that I felt most familiar with and thought this would be the best way to make the transition from UC to Rider. As most of you know, I am a dancer, so I auditioned for
and was accepted onto the Rider Dance Team. I had no idea that this was going to be such a major commitment. Practices began right away in September, many of which were scheduled on Sunday nights from 8:00 pm til midnight!!! However, because I was doing something I love, I never minded the long hours spent, because in the end, performing at all of the Rider home basketball games was so much fun. I had other opportunities to perform on campus too (like at our own Relay for Life) and I have found a great bunch of friends in all of my teammates.

I also joined the News@Rider - Rider's very own t.v. news show. Many of you will remember that I was a part of UCTV, so this, also, was sort of a familiar ground for me. As a freshman, I was given the opportunity to be a co-anchor on a rotating basis, with three other students. It was a great learning experience, and I'm planning on getting even more involved with the news next year. You can check it out at http://comm.rider.edu/RUNetwork/


Jenn and I standing in front of our decorated Christmas tree!

I was very lucky to have been paired with the perfect roommate :) Jenn and I hit it
off right away. Living with her didn't just make her my "roomie" - it made her one of my best friends. Sadly, Jenn transferred to the University of Miami after the first semester so I was faced with finding another roommate. Again, I was lucky enough to learn that another girl on the dance team needed a roommate too, so we decided to room together. I didn't think it was possible, but I found another "best friend" in Michelle!

Michelle and I dressed up for our Dance Team Banquet.

Academically, my first year at college was a success. While there's always room for improvement, I think that all things considered, I did pretty well. The most difficult challenge for me during this first year was time management. I no longer had my Mom and Dad looking over my shoulder to make sure that I was studying and doing my homework. I had to make that commitment to myself to put aside a certain amount of time each day to get my work done. It isn't easy, I warn you, because there is so much to do at college. There's always a game to go to, a concert or show to attend, or simply the chance to hang out with your friends. It's very tempting to ignore your school work, but it's definitely to your benefit if you put work first. In the end, that commitment will bring you great rewards!!!

I'm proud to say that after a rigorous application and interview process, I was accepted into the Leadership Development Program beginning with my sophomore year. This program will require me to attend additional classes specifically designed to help students learn and strengthen their leadership skills. I'll have the opportunity to participate in many different activities where I'll be required to take on leadership roles both on campus and in the community. I'm so excited to be a part of this program which, I am sure, will be
of great importance to my future endeavors.

Well, I've given you a glimpse into my first year in college. I'm happy to say that it was a huge success. I'm looking forward to the future, just as all of you are, and I wish for you the same success that I have enjoyed during the past year.

I promise to be back from time to time to fill you in on all my news!!!

Enjoy your summer!! I know I am :)










~ Jeanette

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home